Descent Developer Network
Descent 1 source
This is the full source code except modem and sound
routines (which are copyright-protected by a third-party). These routines are just
commented out, so if you have the routines licensed yourself or found a similar package,
you can re-enable it quite easy.
The source code contains:
- Descent 1 Commercial V1.5
- Descent 1 Destination Saturn V1.5
- Descent 1 Shareware V1.4
- Descent MINER (Level-Editor)
Which one you get when you compile it, depends on what mode
you compile it: MINER, SHAREWARE, DEST_SAT.
Needed for full compiling are:
- Watcom C++ V10.x
- Microsoft Macro Assembler (MASM) V6.x
- GNU (or compatible, such as
Microsoft, or Borland) Make utility
Before we get further, here are a few notes:
- You are allowed to use this code only for non-commercial,
non-revenue generating purposes only.
- The source code as it is packaged on this site will compile,
but without sound support, and serial port (including modem) support.
- You need to have the Descent data files from the release
(non-shareware) version of Descent. Don't ask me for those files, the only way to get them
is to buy Descent. You can find Descent I and Descent II packaged together (The Definitive
collection) for a very reasonable price at many software stores, or you can buy it online
on Interplay's web site
- Don't ask people at Parallax for help with these files! That
will only discourage them from releasing code in the future. If you have any questions,
look around on this site, and as a last resort, email Kevin Bentley.
- Make sure and thank Parallax by buying all the new Descent
games coming out in the next year or so!